Garbage Strike start against military rule in Myanmar: ongoing protest killed 510 civilians

Web Desk. The garbage piled up on the streets of Myanmar’s main city Yangon after a ‘Garbage Strike’ by social activists against military rule. According to the Reuters news agency, the military seized power in Myanmar on February 1, and since then more than 500 people have been killed in protests against the military government.

Witnesses said security forces in the area used heavier weapons than usual on Monday, forcing protesters to hide behind barricades of sandbags. It was not immediately clear what was the weapon but it is thought to be a grenade launcher.

The Association for the Relief of Political Prisoners said eight of the 14 civilians killed on Monday were in Yangon, the country’s largest city. The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called on Myanmar’s generals to stop the massacre and repression of protesters.

State television said security forces used weapons to disperse the “violent terrorist group”. South Dagon Township resident said security forces were cracking down on the area late at night on Tuesday, raising fears of more casualties.

He revealed on condition of anonymity that the firing continued throughout the night. Residents also found a badly burnt body in the street in the morning. However, he said it was not known what happened to the man and the army took the body away.

According to media reports and photos on social media, thousands of protesters marched in several other cities across the country, but no reports of violence have been received so far.

The civil disobedience movement of strikes against the military government has paralyzed a large part of the economy and in this regard, the protesters have tried a new tactic and launched a campaign to Don’t pick garbage on the main highways, roads, and intersections.

A poster on social media said that this garbage strike to oppose the military government, everyone can join it. Pictures posted on social media in Yangon show piles of rubbish.

The campaign was launched in protest of Monday’s announcement, which called for loudspeakers in some Yangon neighborhoods to properly dispose of garbage.

At least 510 civilians have been killed in two months of protests against the overthrow of an elected government led by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, and after a decade of democratic rule, protesters are now calling for an end to military rule.

Saturday was the bloodiest day of the protests when the death toll rose to 141. The key group behind the protests, the General Strike Committee for Nationalities, wrote an open letter to ethnic minority forces on Monday, calling for help in fighting the army’s “unjust repression.”

Following the demand, three groups, including Myanmar’s National Democratic Alliance Army, the Arakan Army, and the Ta’ang National Liberation Army, issued a joint statement on Tuesday calling on the military to stop killing protesters and resolve the issue politically. They said that if this did not happen, we would co-operate with all ethnic groups joining Myanmar in self-defense.

France: Diabetes drug company fined for causing deaths

 

Here at mynewsify.com, what matters the most is your valuable engagement and YOU, the readers!